Monday, May 25, 2015

Event #2: Making Strange: Gagawaka + Postmortem by Vivan Sundaram

This weekend I was given the chance to see the works of India born and bred artist Vivan Sundaram at Fowler Museum located on UCLA's campus.

At first I was a little taken back by his pieces, especially the the display of different parts of the body, but after watching the small clip about his inspiration that went into his art, I was able to understand is concept on a greater level.

The combination of the Gagawaka and postmortem made me relate it the medicine and art unit because of his incorporation of medical supplies into his pieces.

[FUN FACT: The "Gaga" part of the name comes from "Lady Gaga" and the "Waka" Pat comes from Shakira's Jam for the Fifa World cup in South Africa, "Waka Waka". I over heard the tour lady telling a group. ]

I think one the most influential comments that Sundaram made was in his small video feature for the project. It concerned bringing his art pieces to life, something of which the mannequin itself can never become. It is when you put the clothes on the manniquen that a whole different set of questions comes into perspective about life and death.

To me, I think his pieces moved me to think about attire as well and the invisible realities we emit once we put on a piece of clothing. Like, it is not just fashion, but we are displaying a piece of ourselves to the world.

(My Favorite Piece! It's called Diva R E D. It's made entirely from bras!!)


Works Cited

Fowler Museum at UCLA. "Making Strange: Gagawaka + Postmortem by Vivan
          Sundaram." YouTube.YouTube, 16 Mar. 2015. Web. 25 May 2015. 
"Making Strange: Gagawaka + Postmortem by Vivan Sundaram | Fowler Museum at
          UCLA." Making Strange: Gagawaka + Postmortem by Vivan Sundaram |
          Fowler Museum at UCLA. The Fowler Museum at UCLA, n.d. Web. 25 May
          2015. 

No comments:

Post a Comment